This highly-regarded programme is the only full-time training course for publishing in New Zealand. Developed and run in partnership with the industry, the Graduate Diploma in Publishing (Applied) is modelled on an apprenticeship. It focuses on practical experience and industry contacts.
All tutors are practitioners in the publishing industry. Students attend work placements in publishing firms. Guest speakers include publishers, print and web editors, eBook creators, designers, sales reps, publicists, booksellers and authors.
In addition, students on the programme each take a manuscript through to publication, dealing with every aspect from developing the idea to selling the product.
The programme covers:
- Planning and promoting a publication (through manuscript assessment, market research, costing, scheduling, marketing and distribution)
- Production, from idea to printed or digital publication (through writing, editing, typesetting, and supervision of design and print)
Degree, or evidence of relevant work experience, along with successful completion of the selection process – see selection criteria.
We encourage prompt applications to ensure our availability for interviews from November 2021.
Students who meet the entry requirements will be selected on the basis of their academic skills, the strength of their written applications and how well they score in the interview.
The written application assesses:
- written communication skills
- computer competency
- ability to contribute to a team environment
- experience in and/or commitment to working in publishing or editing roles
The interview assesses:
- oral communication skills
- professional presentation
- ability to contribute thoughtfully to a discussion about publishing
- evidence of research into and understanding of the area in which they wish to pursue a career
How to Apply
- Complete the online Application for the Graduate Diploma in Publishing (Applied) through the Te Auaha or Whitireia websites.
- An Enrolment Advisor will be in contact and share and information pack with details about the written information to be submitted.
- Once the applicant has returned the requested written application an interview time will be set with the Publishing team
Interviews can be face-to-face, or online.